10 Natural Tips to Look Your Best at Any Age:
With or Without Cosmetic Surgery
Shirley Madhere, MD
- Reduce internal pollution. Don’t fill your body with toxins, especially cigarettes. Smoking saps the skin of Vitamin A and speeds up the aging process not to mention giving the skin a sallow hue. Those about to undergo a cosmetic procedure should cease smoking because it hinders healing and increases the risk of complications. Smoking may also inhibit blood circulation, which is essential to vital health and healing processes.
- Avoid sun exposure. Cosmetic procedures can be minimized with simple precautions that protect your skin from the sun, such as using a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or greater. Try a self-tanner or light bronzer for that sun-kissed glow. Today’s self-tanners have come a long way from their orange, streaky counterparts. If you want to amp up the radiance, try a VitaGlow treatment, which are microinjections of multiple vitamins, minerals, and hyaluronic acid to impart hydration and nourishment to deeper skin layers.
- Detox your system. A cleansing and nourishing regimen will foster balance, or homeostasis. Consume fewer fats and carbohydrates and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, which are natural antioxidants or anti-aging agents. What you put in your body is reflected on the outside.
- Keep your body hydrated. Drinking plenty of water helps your body heal and flush out toxins and other harmful substances while leaving the skin hydrated and glowing. Caffeine and alcohol deplete the body of water, so if you are going to indulge, make sure to increase your water intake daily.
- Take a multivitamin. For overall cellular and tissue health, it’s important to take a multivitamin especially if your diet is lacking in essential nutrients. By taking a daily supplement, you are ensuring that you are getting adequate nutrients that your skin needs to stay healthy.
- Reduce bruise discoloration and swelling. For those who do get a little help from their plastic surgeon, homeopathic Arnica montana is a secret weapon against bruising and swelling after any cosmetic or surgical procedure. Boiron’s Arnicare® Gel and Arnica montana oral pellets are must haves for anyone who wants to maintain an active lifestyle but not the effects of it on their skin. It reduces bruise discoloration which can be unsightly on exposed areas like the face, legs and arms. Arnicare can also treat everyday muscle aches and pain from overexertion or minor injuries,* so it’s good to keep handy in your purse, briefcase or gym bag.
- Consume fresh pineapple. The anti-inflammatory enzyme bromelain found in fresh, not canned, pineapple can also reduce swelling after a trauma or surgical procedure—an unexpected benefit of this sweet, juicy fruit. Pineapple is low in fat and rich in calcium, potassium and Vitamin C, so it boosts the immune system and helps your body to repair itself.
- Enjoy a manual lymphatic massage. This gentle form of massage stimulates your body’s lymphatic system by helping fluids circulate, revving up your metabolism and boosting your immune system. Your lymphatic system can get blocked, which causes toxins to build up and makes you susceptible to illness that can take a toll on your skin.
- Add protein to your diet. Add protein to your daily diet to keep muscle tissue from breaking down especially if you are active or increasing your physical activity to stay fit. Protein should be about 15-20 percent of your daily calorie intake as recommended by the USDA.
- Reduce stress. Nothing ages your skin more than stress. Yoga, pilates, reiki, sleep, acupuncture, visualization, meditation, creative writing, and breathing exercises can help relax and de-stress you from a hectic day. Give gratitude for things you do have and try not to worry about the rest. You always have the option of improving something you don’t like! So, if you are relaxed and happy on the inside, it will show on the outside, and that is beautiful!
*Claims based on traditional homeopathic practice, not accepted medical evidence. Not FDA evaluated.
Dr. Shirley Madhère is a New York-based plastic surgeon who founded the philosophy of Holistic Plastic Surgery. She is an Associate Adjunct Surgeon at the prestigious New York Eye, Ear and Throat Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
At Boiron, we believe there’s more than one way to feel better. Since 1932, the Boiron family has been committed to providing quality medicines. As world leader in homeopathy, our passion is your health. Our promise is your satisfaction. Find out more.